Link me to how I’m discriminating against white people and what I’m holding back white people from. Show me what white people don’t have access to because I’m telling white people that they have to examine their position of privilege in this country. Show me how “you have to critically examine that you benefit from being white” is the same as doing or benefiting from this
- Saudi student is literally surrounded by FBI for cooking rice under terrorist suspicions
- White people literally can not associate positive words with Black faces because of racism
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- Bangladeshi man is beaten by people out of racism
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Universities throwing racist ‘Fiesta Party’ homogenizing culture with extreme racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes do I need to go on?
But yeah, white people’s feelings :*(
I actually changed my mind, I’m adding more
- Deaf Black man is stabbed out of racism when his sign language is mistaken for a GANG SIGN
- Anti-Islam posters run free on the train to reinforce racism anti-Islamic sentiments and Islamaphobia
- Oops! Chicago police raids the wrong house, holds an 11 month old at gunpoint to raise their hand, kills their dog all because of racism and assuming it was a crackhouse! Oopsies
- Let’s take it overseas! Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asian people are twice as likely
- People assuming Native american baby names are actually Native and have any meaning to any ethnic group when they don’t
- Here’s a whole collection of people saying racist stereotyping homogenizing disgusting stuff about Natives
- People protesting (Idle No More) defending Native people’s humanity are attacked with violence
- White kids think it’s totally okay and normal to photograph themselves lynching a Black baby doll like an effigy
- Member of the most glorified band in the world Paul McCartney made a racist white supremacist song called ‘No Pakistanis’ and everyone still glorifies him as a good person
- Racism in actual political campaign in Massachusetts against a Native runner portraying her name and image in a racist stereotypical inappropriate manner
- Indian Sikh school students protest for students who are banned from wearing their turbans in public schools in France
- Here’s a graph of the statistic that approx every 28 hours an African American is extrajudicially executed in the US
- NYPD profiling and targeting LGBT*Q People of Color
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- Albany police: SWAT literally uses a poor Black neighborhood to train in because they say it’s ‘realistic’
- The audio recording from a young man of color of a NYPD stop and frisking him based solely how he looks calling him a “FUCKING MUTT”
- Incarceration rates by ethnicity
- All of this fucking cultural appropriation
Whoa, it does not stop
- Her Innocent Brother Was Made Into a Bombing Suspec because of racism: Sunil Tripathi’s Sister Speaks
- Wall Street Journal refers to a Chinese athlete as being “fueled with rice” even though they don’t title articles like that for white athletes
- Black Woman Pretends To Be White And Job Offers Skyrocket
- African-American man says NYPD made him rap before freeing him
- Black Detroit woman shot to death while seeking help in white neighborhood after car crash
- Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead
- A Black man holding a wallet is more likely to be shot by the police than a White man holding a gun.
- ESPN makes a racist mockery of Native americans on national TV on purpose. I don’t see any consequences for their actions
- Students of color At University of Texas Attacked By An Epidemic Of ‘Bleach Bombs’
- Racism Linked to Adult-Onset Asthma in Black Women
- Black firefighter waves to white police man and is handcuffed and on the ground
- Most of Onondaga County is disputed land, which legally belongs to the Onondaga Nation. It has been held illegally by New York State for hundreds of years, despite the Treaty of Fort Stanwix which means that the Onondaga Nation is the legal owner. Racists respond with “they didn’t work for this land it’s mine” illogically
- Disparities in the workforce exist as Black women and Latino men work more than white women and white men but the racial wage gap still exists
- Oakland: Study finds racial bias in boys’ arrests targeting guess who? Black young men, of course!
- How is it that 58% of prisoners are Black and Latino if 70% of crime committed here is done by white people?
- Forty Percent of White Americans Are Lying About Their ‘Black Friend’
- From Mosques to Soccer Leagues: Inside the NYPDâs Secret Spy Unit Targeting Muslims, Activists
- When whites were presented with an argument against the death penalty or three strikes that emphasized the racial bias of the policy, they became more (not less) supportive of capital punishment and three strikes laws.
- Who’s surprised that people were racist and needed an explanation of how not to homogenize and trivialize culture on Dia de los Muertos?
- African-Americans More Likely To Receive Lower-Quality Kidneys, Study Finds
- Islamophobia towards (obviously innocent) paying customer: Garland restaurant contaminated her drink, Muslim woman says
- Famous actor Brandon T. Jackson is called racial slurs on his flight and told “I don’t care if you’re Obama’s son” then questioned by the police and restricted from flying and left alone to look for a hotel himself for being the victim of racism on US Airways
- Rob Brown, famous star of Treme is racially profiled and arrested at Macy’s for purchasing a watch with his own money and his own credit card and accused of fraud
- Kayla Philips tries to purchase a bag at Barney’s and is also accused of fraud at Barney’s because they didn’t believe she could afford it
I will fucking wait for the link and bookmark this message. Messages like this are exactly why the fuck white people need to be critical of their positions of privilege… this is disgusting. On what fuck level on what planet is saying “you need to actually stop racism and recognize that you can’t just dodge responsibility for benefiting from privilege” the same as this? Link me. Link me to the negative consequences of white people examining their privilege you disgusting fucking child lol
I’ve said this to my non-techie friends countless times. It’s no secret that being able to code makes you a better job applicant, and a better entrepreneur. Hell, one techie taught a homeless man to code and now that man is making his first mobile application.
Learning to code elevates your professional life, and makes you more knowledgeable about the massive changes taking place in the technology sector that are poised to have an immense influence on human life.
(note: yes I realize that 3/5 of those links were Google projects)
But most folks are intimidated by coding. And it does seem intimidating at first. But peel away the obscurity and the difficulty, and you start to learn that coding, at least at its basic level, is a very manageable, learnable skill.
There are a lot of resources out there to teach you. I’ve found a couple to be particularly successful. Here’s my list of resources for learning to code, sorted by difficulty:
Never written a line of code before? No worries. Just visit one of these fine resources and follow their high-level tutorials. You won’t get into the nitty-gritty, but don’t worry about it for now:
w3 Tutorials (start at HTML on the left sidebar and work your way down)
Now that you’ve gone through a handful of basic tutorials, it’s time to learn the fundamentals of actual, real-life coding problems. I’ve found these resources to be solid:
If you’re here, you’re capable of building things. You know the primitives. You know the logic control statements. You’re ready to start making real stuff take shape. Here are some different types of resources to turn you from someone who knows how to code, into a full-fledged programmer.
Sometimes, the challenges in programming aren’t how to make a language do a task, but just how to do the task in general. Like how to find an item in a very large, sorted list, without checking each element. Here are some resources for those types of problems
If you learned Python, Django is an amazing platform for creating quick-and-easy web applications. I’d highly suggest the tutorial - it’s one of the best I’ve ever used, and you have a web app up and running in less than an hour.
I’ve never used Rails, but it’s a very popular and powerful framework for creating web applications using Ruby. I’d suggest going through their guide to start getting down-and-dirty with Rails development.
If you know PHP, there’s an ocean of good stuff out there for you to learn how to make a full-fledged web application. Frameworks do a lot of work for you, and provide quick and easy guides to get up and running. I’d suggest the following:
If there’s one point I wanted to get across, it’s that it is easier than ever to learn to code. There are resources on every corner of the internet for potential programmers, and the benefits of learning even just the basics are monumental.
If you know of any additional, great resources that aren’t listed here, please feel free to tweet them to me @boomeyer.
Best of luck!
You take into your body, like a deadbolt,
the very weapon used in the thousand-year
war against yourself. The war which
taught you to carry your keys like a fist
of butchery at night. Which taught you
any jackal can look just like a man:
your grandfather, your cousin, your friend,
your uncle. Really, what else can become
and unbecome a weapon so quickly?
Guns do not melt after firing. A dagger
will not go limp as a snipped lily in your hand.
But, now, here, it is only a bayonet in theory.
Only a threat on paper. Now, your body
is all yes and open windows. It is summer.
It isn’t actually summer but inside your body,
it is all July, no mosquitos. All itch, no scratch.
Your body charms the snake from the basket.
Your body takes in the homeless and bathes them
with your tongue. You are the socket.
The shock. The source. Forever, it seems,
the act of being entered has been compared to
the act of being broken into. To be the swallower
and not the sword. But what takes more strength?
Tell me, what takes more mercy?
- Sierra DeMulder
Fine, detailed and subtle animated artwork created by New York illustrator Rebecca Mock. Apparently the animated gif back to stay, gradually more and more people are exploring this old format and customers asking for shouting. Several of these illustrations were created for the New York Times or The Warlus magazine.
Of course! (for butter cookies)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a large bowl (I used an electric hand mixer) until fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the flour to your mixture by hand until it’s all well mixed together. Refrigerate the dough for 2 to 3 hours (I did mine for about 2 hours 15 mins) so that it firms up.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll out half the dough at a time on a floured board until it is about 1/8” to 1/4” thick, or however thin you desire.
- Next cut all your cookies and place them on an ungreased baking sheet (I put mine on aluminum foil and they ended up coming off very easily).
- Bake for 6-10 minutes, or until your cookies are lightly golden brown underneath.
- Take cookies out, let them cool for about 15-20 minutes, enjoy! :D
So I may have possibly previously mentioned a certain productivity-enhancing extension so you all know I’m Good for this, right, I know what I’m talking about
, I got the goods, slyly opens trenchcoat
It’s 2014 and everyone’s talking about how they’re gonna make it their year - well HabitRPG is one of the best productivity tools I’ve ever used and it makes even the most difficult and laborious of tasks so much easier, and helps beat procrastination like nothing else I’ve ever used.
It’s free, so you might as well give it a try before you go back to school, college, or work!
time for a LONGASS MAKEUP POST because I love seeing what everyone smears on their faces and I wanna join in
I probably shouldn’t buy fancy products but occasionally buy them anyway, so this will be a nice mix of drugstore favorites and whatever I justified buying from sephora (but I’ll wear it EVERY DAY, she said)
i am O B S E S S E D w/ watching makeup tutorials and knowing people’s routines and finding out what ~products~ they use and basically any scenario in which people are PUTTING THINGS ON THEIR FACES. LUV IT. LIVE 4 IT. BUT ALSO, i am an idiot!! and lazy! i only JUST THIS YEAR (MY 27TH ON EARTH) learned how to make myself look OKAY, BASICALLY. I AM NOT AN EXPERT. that’s fine! “BASICALLY OKAY” IS ESSENTIALLY “MODELESQUE,” IMO. LOOKING “FINE” IS THE SAME AS LOOKING “FIIIIIINE” IN MY BOOK. MAYBE YOU ALSO STRIVE FOR OKAY-NESS. HERE ARE MY SECRETS 4 MEDIOCRITY.
i like to call today’s look is AW FUCK I SLEPT IN MY MAKE-UP AGAIN. it is my only look.